Friday, February 11, 2011

100! Yay! Inbetween: A Fable

So this is what we have been up to. My job now has evolved, given that in Photoshop the lines were looking kind of stale, not very fluid and not able to replicate the quality I could get from hand drawing. So I was entrusted to draw the below scene just to see what I could do. Thankfully Jacob liked it so I am now drawing all the linework for the backgrounds and settings. Kat then scans in the hard copies and colours them digitally.

This is a much better setup I think because I really like drawing architecture and Kat is much better at digital painting than me. It's been giving me confidence too because they've all been saying they really like what I've been doing and I'm being given more freedom to improvise a little;
So what I mean is, I'm given a layout which is just has things like, buildings here, buildings here, moon here, cloud here, or whatever. But I've been given the freedom to draw whatever kind of buildings I like, as long as they're Gothic and Medieval type architecture.

It's been bringing me back to my History of Art days and I'm remembering all the things like the different types of columns, cornice's and all that. I'm taking a little bit from Renaissance as Jacob likes arches and they were very prominent in Ancient Greek and Roman architecture, as well as French Gothic.

The good thing is I don't have to be 100% accurate, and I can mish mash all these styles of architecture together. As most of the film takes place at night it's dark anyway so I don't have to worry about getting a precise architectural style. Obviously the key things are sticking to the layouts, and keeping continuity with the art style.

I have done about 3-4 more today but they are in the process of being scanned in and coloured so I can't put them up here yet.

I'm really getting into this project and am gaining confidence from getting good feedback from everybody. The best thing for me is that they've basically entrusted me to draw the massive Castle at the start of the film which is going to be mine and Kat's Sistine Chapel probably. But I'm looking forward to it because I like drawing Castles and I'm being given a lot of freedom to create.

So it's all good. Also I'm assured work on 1/3 will commence next week so I look forward to that too.




No comments:

Post a Comment