Thursday, March 3, 2011

I Like Life Drawing.








So this is the Castle City I've been drawing for Inbetween: A Fable. It's on 7 different layers. I'd like to be able to show it all as one but it's really only visible like that if you look at it on a lightbox. I started off being quite flat and precise (top image) but I was re-instructed to make it more 'in your face and pow'
The brief was just to make it on as many layers as possible, and to have the buildings getting taller and more fancy and crazy the higher up they were. It took me allllll day on Thursday.
I looked at Castles like, Carcasonne in Southern France (which I've been to) and Burg Hochosterwitz in Austria, Coburg Castle in Germany, Miskolc Diosgyer in Hungary, Krak des Chevaliers in Syria, Minas Tirith from Lord of the Rings and of course any number of the hundreds of Castles we have in the UK. Jerusalem also sprang to mind. Stronghold Heaven's Castle of the Week is a great resource for Castles.

Then for the buildings I've been looking at a lot of ancient and medieval cities like Rome, parts of London, towns in Northern France (mostly from memory) and a lot of Ancient Greek architectures and buildings from the Renaissance which brought me back to History of Art when I was in 6th form. I've also mixed in some Middle Eastern and Far East (Although India rather than Japan or China) architecture from the same time periods.

So hopefully that has all come together and Kat and co. can have much fun colouring it and animating it. I might end up colouring some of it too as there is a lot to do I think. Anyhow, I have a design bible for Pre-Production to finish right now.


Life Drawing;
It's good fun. Did three long poses. One was foreshortening but It was just a practice. The Painting was 40minutes and the other was about 20 minutes.

The drawing is great on this, I've made Andy (the model) Look a bit like a Chinese Dictator.

This was a caricature exercise. People seemed to like it. Which is good :)



No comments:

Post a Comment