Monday, March 21, 2011

Cinematography



For the meantime this is our cinematography project. It's the poor quality 50mb one because the limit for our hand-in space is 64mb. The full high quality widescreen HD version is 1.37 GB and is in the process of uploading but it may take a while!

I found the project really useful in terms of film design. That is, not having continuity errors, shotkeeping, management, shot angels and lots of things you normally take for granted when doing Animation (like being able to have the camera and lighting anywhere you fancy and the ability to tweak movements without having to re-shoot a whole scene or shot)

I wrote the script, the storyboard, directed, produced and edited the whole film. I provided the soundtracks but Sam edited it all together (I just gave him the mp3 files basically).
Sam also did all the camerawork and lighting work and provided the location and actors.
Thomas was the art director and did the props, the costume and was Sams camera assistant (pulling focus etc). Thomas also had the very important job of shot-keeping and making sure the film was consistent with itself.

It was a good group we had ups and downs. As you can imagine it was quite tricky with just the 3 of us, I certainly felt like I had a lot to do and that the project rested on my shoulders quite a lot since I had come up with the concept (I have come up with a dozen better ideas since though, as is the way) and directed and then edited. It gave me a lot of power and responsibility to make a film we could all be proud of and get us a decent mark. I think I am quite proud to admit that I helped make this film now. It wasn't looking good a few weeks ago (the basic shots themselves are quite boring in places), but It has come together remarkably well in editing and with the addition of the music. I'm always amazed at how much of a difference music can make to a film.

If I was to do it again though I would do something maybe a little more dramatic. Everybody seemed to go for a comedy approach and I think in hindsight it might have been nice to do something without an humor. For me though the project was invaluable for the 3rd year as I got a chance to be completely in control as a director and working with out-sourced actors was definitely a bonus experience. I tried to keep a light hearted approach to my directing and make sure everybody was enjoying themselves but there was once or twice late in the day when I almost lost my rag with one of my crew. But I apologized as it was just stress related and it's all in the past.

So yeah, I enjoyed the heck out of it, like I have with everything this term and it's great to get weekly feedback from Frankie who's worked with Jackie Chan and John Woo. I don't think that's something you get at every university.


P.s. Sam and I are going to have another crack at this project over Easter and Summer because we both feel we can make something really good if we get enough practice in.

No comments:

Post a Comment