Monday, May 10, 2010

ABCDEFGHIR

I've found this quite bizzare so far. Drawing the NFL players throws your concept of perception completely off because they have helmets on, which makes their head a lot bigger, and also the shoulder pads elongate and heighten the shoulders. So, instead of the shoulders starting where the neck ends (generally speaking) they now start on a level with the ear.

If you drew a silhouette of one (I might do) they'd look like a distorted space alien, with a giant head and no neck.

I think this is good though because it means you have to look a lot more, rather than just jumping in and going 'oh yeah I know what a person looks like'. They're all different sizes too, for example you've got big butch built like a brickshithouse Ray Lewis, then you've got the much leaner Jerry Rice. The poses captured by the photographers are also really interesting and challenging, and nothing you could really get from a life model.




These are just doodles I did of Ray Lewis doing his thing. I looked at the paper for these. They don't seem to have worked well as when I didn't though. Well the one on the right didn't. His leg got messed up.


I seemed to have destroyed poor old Tom Landry here (right - hat)



This one I worked on afterward obviously.


Emmitt Smith (Left) looks to have a bit of a transformers head. I think my one of "the Fridge" turned out quite well (it's a separate picture of him on the top).


My first attempt, Adrian Peterson (Left) didn't go so well proportions wise. However I think I had a good stab at Broadway Joe Namath (right).

No comments:

Post a Comment